Our Story

 

Church-Street-Building

 

The Vision of a church for cadets began in 1921 with A.D. Martin, a math professor at A&M. In 1925, A.D. found a willing helper in Edwin Martin, an A&M Consolidated Rural School teacher. The first cadets met with A.D. Martin in his mathematics room on campus and later in the Y.M.C.A. when Edwin Martin became involved. In 1931 Mrs. Bessie Woodward of Houston, Texas became interested in the effort and contributed $35,000 for the group’s first permanent structure. The church built the 210 seat auditorium and opening day was Sunday October 27, 1935.

 

The vision of the “cadet” church quickly widened to include adult and youth ministries as well as worldwide missions. A Pulpit Minister was added to the ministry in 1935. In 1954 the first fulltime College Minister was added and the “Aggies For Christ” (AFC), continued the “cadet ministry.” The first Youth Director began full time work in 1967. Over the years the church has been served by 10 Pulpit Ministers, five College Ministers, five Youth Ministers, and numerous elders and deacons. Due to God’s grace working through the prayerful and diligent service of faithful men and woman, the congregation grew in numbers so that by 1970 a new facility was  needed. Eight acres of land were purchased in 1972 and on September 15, 1974 the new facility with an 800 seat auditorium was dedicated.

 

 

Harvey-Mitchell-Parkway-Campus

 

 

 

Earl-Rudder-Freeway-Campus

 

By 1994, with an attendance well over 1000 the A&M church once again found itself in need of a new facility. Ministry had continued in Foreign Missions, Evangelism, AFC, Youth & Family, Singles and Children’s Education. The church took up a special contribution in September, 1996 in order to purchase 29 acres on Earl Rudder Freeway. From September 1996 through January 2003 the Building Committee and Fund Raising Committee, appointed by the elders, led the congregation through the planning stages for another new facility. The new 100,000 square foot facility includes children, teenage and adult  classrooms, a 250 seat chapel, a library, an AFC/Youth center, a parlor for receptions, a kitchen and an 1700 seat auditorium. The dedication for the building was held on May 30, 2004.